Monday, September 6, 2010

MAN OH MAN (after man): the art of dougal dixon



dougal dixon's book man after man had a profound effect on me the first time i looked through it. i was probably about 13 and was killing time at the southdale library and picked it up off a cart of books to be reshelved. it really blew my mind--what bizarre and wonderful illustrations! but stupidly, i paid no attention to the author or the title and never saw the book again until late last year. thanks to sean's sleuthing, a used copy found its way into my possession, and what a great reunion it's been! some scans:





















7 comments:

Eliyahu said...

Those big blobby multi-armed fuckers be creepin' yo.

Anonymous said...

Wwwwwwwwwwha---?

Sweet One said...

If you think this is freaky, check his other two books!

Andrew Good said...

Holy Mother of Jesus.

Thank you so much for uploading these. Dixon also wrote a book called After Man, about evolution of animals, and even had an art exhibition where they mocked up animatronic models of his creations. I saw a video about it when I was a wee young'un, and the images have haunted my brain ever since.

On a nostalgic bender, I found some of the images and came across your blog. Isn't the Internet an awesome place?

This is the thing that stuck in my mind:

http://www.mun.ca/biology/scarr/Dixon_Night_Stalker.jpg

In any case, I'll totally be picking up that book.

Andrew Good said...

Also...I guess some Russian site has the whole book posted, in case anyone else is interested:

http://www.sivatherium.narod.ru/library/Dixon_3/tabl_en.htm

Aaron White said...

I have almost the same story cept I saw it in a bookstore. It scared the crap outta me cuz I thought it was a straight-up scientific text: they'd run some tests and determined with absolute certainty that we were gonna evolve into these things. Eek!

Mr. X said...

And I thought humans couldn’t get any uglier!